How to make your own torrents and upload them to a public tracker
To wrap up our series of BitTorrent tips, we're going to show you how to make your own torrents. After all, torrents have to come from somewhere, right? You've been leeching for years -- isn't it time to give something back?
Just follow these simple steps:
- Open up your BitTorrent client of choice. uTorrent, Vuze, Transmission -- whichever, they all work in the same way
- File > Create Torrent (or simply hit the 'Create' button, if there is one)
- Select a source file or directory -- this can be absolutely anything
- Now you need to find some trackers. If you're making a torrent for a private torrent index, make sure you use its tracker. Otherwise, paste all of the following into the box:
- If you want to add a comment, go for it! Include your name, website, email address -- whatever you like
- Make sure Private Torrent is unchecked, unless you're creating a torrent for a private tracker
- Click Create -- then add the new torrent to your client and start seeding!
If you want to share your torrent publicly, you need to upload the torrent to an index like The Pirate Bay. First register an account, and then simply click 'Upload torrent' -- the method is the same for uploading to a private site (just make sure you've used its private tracker!)