Google launches App Engine
Most appealing, Google App Engine is free. During the preview, there are only spots for the first 10,000 developers who sign up, but Google's information page says that free accounts will be available after the initial preview. Of course, the free accounts do have resource limitations (500MB of storage and 5 million page views a month), but free is free!
Let's get into the details:
- Applications can be served from the free appspot.com domain or from an external domain via Google Apps
- Python is the only language supported right now -- Google says they look forward to supporting other languages in the future, but for right now -- Python is where it is at
- Google's service API is built into App Engine -- so Google Accounts can be easily integrated into an application
- During the developer preview users are able to register up to 3 applications
- The SDK is available for Mac, Windows and Linux