User-driven news sites more diverse than mainstream media
- Most of the top stories on Digg, Reddit, and Del.icio.us were not top stories in the mainstream media.
- There's little follow-up on user-driven sites. A story pops up once, and then disappears.
- User news sites draw from different sources than mainstream media, with many stories linking to blogs and popular websites.
- Different user news sites are strong in different areas. Reddit is the most likely to include political stories, Digg is good for tech news, while Del.icio.us is kind of all over the place.
- Mainstream news sites were more likely to cover international news than the user-driven sites.
Social news sites aren't replacing traditional media. They're replacing the editor's judgment of what news should go on the paper's front page. While a wider range of topics might make the front page of Reddit than The New York Times, if you want consistent quality and editorially sound articles written by people who make a living reporting the facts, you might not want to rely on Digg readers to deliver all your news.
[via Search Engine Land]